Skip to main content

Moving on After Divorce with Children

 

Moving on After Divorce with Children

I realized it was time for me to step forward into the unknown, trust myself, trust my kids, and trust the process.

Moving on After Divorce with Children

Moving on after divorce is difficult, especially when you have children. Here’s my story.

Here’s What I Learned About Moving On After Divorce When You Have Children

“Mom, I think you need to marry again.” James told me this with an innocent nonchalance as I sat down on the couch for the first time all day.

“What do you mean bud?” I asked, genuinely curious.

“Well, I think you are tired a lot because you’re alone and you need to marry so you can have help with us,” he explained so sweetly.

“Oh, honey, that is really sweet that you notice mom is tired. If I ever get married again it really won’t be so I can have help with you though. If I got married again then it would be so that another adult could spend energy giving me love. Right now, I spend all my energy loving you and nobody spends energy loving me.” I tried to choose words my old-souled seven-year-old could consume.

“Well, mom, okay. Let’s do that then,” he said matter of fact. He was ready, in his mind, this seemed easy enough, find someone to love mom, check. Easy as pie.

I chuckled, “Well babe, if I found someone to love me, they would want to sleep with me at night and wouldn’t you and your brothers be bummed out if you couldn’t take turns sleeping with me anymore?”

I thought this point would be a sure way to make him repulsed by the idea of mom being loved. After all, this is my son who gets embarrassed when he sees me naked and who hides his eyes from kissing scenes and the like.

He looked at me deep in thought for a few breathes then replied, “Welp, I guess that’s just something we’d have to get used to then.” He shrugged and wandered off. Conversation over.

They Only Know Me Alone

I have been single basically for as long as any of my sons can remember. Phil and I separated when David was only two. I recently mentioned in conversation something about ‘when dad lived here’ and David stopped me mid-sentence.

“Wait, my Dad lived here?” David was entirely serious. He has no recollection what-so-ever of a time where mom and dad shared their home.

James was five when Phil moved out. He was three when our marriage hit the wall. Gabriel was seven, five when it hit the wall. These kids really have no memories of a time where they were witnessing their mother in a loving, happy relationship. Phil and I had a respectful partnership. One that revolved entirely around our kids. We didn’t share much tenderness, at least it was so rare that our children didn’t witness it. We didn’t share much intimacy, at least not in the way that our kids could notice.

As I contemplated my son’s observations about what I might need, I found myself realizing that my sons have never witnessed their mother being loved well. They’ve never seen me being cherished or adored or delighted in. They’ve never seen a man express his passion for or attraction to me.

They only know what their mother is like alone.

When Moving on After Divorce, Timing is Everything

James sharing his thoughts would have caught my attention anytime, the moment that he said this, however, was particularly unique timing. Perhaps a week before this conversation I had unexpectedly reconnected with a man I had dated a few times. I didn’t (and don’t) know where that relationship is going but I did know that I was feeling things I hadn’t felt in a very long time.

A Warning and a Permission

I decided to recognize James’ comment as both a warning sign and a permission slip.

The warning was that my son is going to assume that anyone who comes around is here to stay. I mention love and he says “marry”. James and presumably his brothers, will likely take anyone who shows up in their world as a fixture. I need to tread carefully and be sure to pace how much of my dating life is shared with my kids.

The permission slip was that my son, completely on his own accord, has recognized a loneliness in his mother that he feels should be solved. He innately understands there is an open space in our life that could be filled with another man. This was my sign that my kids are okay and that I have permission to open myself up to love. They have space for me to be loved by another which means I have the space too.

I Have Needs Too

This moment was quite meaningful to me. I have been very aware for the past few years that I have ignored my need for companionship and affection. It has been easy for me to do this. It has been safe. Like anyone who has found themselves on the outside of a failed marriage, my fear of being hurt again is palpable. The easiest way to avoid being hurt is to avoid feeling anything at all. I have been glad to keep my life simple (and safe) since my marriage ended. I have pretended to be open to a relationship and complained that no suitable men had come around. The real reason is that I am alone because I am too scared to not be.

In that moment, aware that my heart was already beginning to melt whether I wanted it to or not, I decided it was time to embrace that I have needs of my own. Moving on after divorce isn’t easy, but it can be done. I realized it was time for me to step forward into the unknown, trust myself, trust my kids, and trust the process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southside's Top Child Support Lawyers

  MLG LAW GROUP 121 West Wacker Drive Suite 1404 Chicago, IL. 60601 http://www.mlglawgroupillinois.com/ #letsguide How do you prove a parent unfit in Illinois? How do I prove the other parent is unfit? Abandonment. Habitual substance abuse problems. Physical or emotional abuse. Mental illness or instability. Putting the children in an unsafe living environment. Being incarcerated. Not being interested in the children's welfare. Neglect.

The Breaking Point Before Divorce

  The Breaking Point Before Divorce The story of the final breaking point leading to my divorce with an abusive husband. By  PhoenixRising   Updated: March 30, 2023 Categories:  Considering Divorce ,  Inspirational Stories and Advice ,  Preparing for Divorce It’s Saturday morning in October in the Northeast. The wind blowing through the open bay windows is crisp and carries hints of freshly brewed coffee from the kitchen downstairs. It’s 7 A.M. and the baby is sleeping, the house is quiet. Although I was up for several feedings though out the night, the morning is welcoming and promising of a fresh start on a new day. This is the story of my breaking point before divorce. My Breaking Point Before Divorce This Saturday begins as any normal weekend; my husband left for work at 5am, 45 minutes away in the city. He slept a peaceful 9 hours despite our daughters’ screaming outbursts throughout the night; not like he has ever gotten up to help, anyway.  I tiptoe out of my bedroom where our p

Managing Emotional Hot Buttons Can Help You Reduce Conflict: Here’s How To Do It

  Managing Emotional Hot Buttons Can Help You Reduce Conflict: Here’s How To Do It If you're looking to minimize conflict and move toward compromise, anticipating the issues that will likely trigger you and your spouse / ex will help you de-escalate the situation.  By  Andra Davidson   Updated: April 07, 2023 Categories:  Children's and Parenting Issues after Divorce ,  Co-Parenting after Divorce ,  Coping with Divorce ,  Divorce Process ,  Divorce Recovery Reducing Emotional Hot Buttons What is a Hot Button? According to Merriam-Webster, a  Hot Button is an emotional or controversial issue  or concern that triggers an immediate, intense reaction. Managing them can have a significant positive impact on the process and outcome of divorce. Blame it on our Lizard Brain Our “Lizard Brain” is the ancient survival mechanism that manages our fight/flight response when our ego, image, or self-esteem is threatened. When this part of the brain kicks in our reflexive response is usually t